The NBA is planning to make March 25 the trade deadline for the 2020-21 season, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.
The date only needs approval from the Board of Governors, Charania added. Trade-deadline day usually falls at the beginning of February. It was Feb. 6 in 2019-20.
A 72-game season is scheduled to tip off Dec. 22. Here are the other known key dates:
- Dec. 1-5: Individual player workouts
- Dec. 1-5: Media “week”
- Dec. 6: Group workouts begin
- Dec. 11-19: Preseason (schedule)
- Dec. 22-March 4: First half of regular season
- March 5-10: All-Star Break
- March 11-May 16: Second half of regular season
- May 13-15: Class of 2020 Hall of Fame Enshrinment
- May 18-21: Play-in tournament
- May 22-July 22: Playoffs
Per Charania, the league is targeting April 9 as the deadline for players to be waived and remain eligible for the postseason.